Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why I Love America and Texas



My second grader came home from school with a paper. It read...

Today we remembered 911 in a safe and honorable way. I reminded them that we are free because of our brave men and women going to battle and our brave President leading the way. I told them we are Safe, Strong, and Steady. Parents: Please discuss with your child the importance of freedom. Please talk about the day of 9-11 and where and what you were doing and thinking. Student: Please write down 3 "Special Feeling Words" about our country. Please also draw 1 symbol representing the USA.

As I sat reading this, I got teary eyed. I love that in Texas, it isn't bad to be patriotic. I love that in Texas, my children are taught about 9/11- it isn't forgotten. I love that in Texas, we still pray at rodeos :). I love that in Texas, the school children start each day with a moment of silence (where they are allowed to pray if they chose). And I love that in Texas, there are restrictions to the size of belt buckles allowed at school!

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of akwardness that comes with living in Texas, or should I narrow that down to Forney. How about the neighbor that mows her grass in the dead of night (sure she has a headlight, but really lady, you just mowed two days ago...and grass doesn't grow that fast here!)? Or the sweet old man in the doctors office waiting room, reading the magazine upside down. He was really into the article and was distraught when the nurse called him back. Or how about our own little statue of liberty...yes, Pookie thinks it's the real deal. But you can't deny the Patriotic nature of those around town.

Since moving here two years ago, I have been impressed at the support our military men and women get from the Texan people. So, on this 7 year anniversary, I hope that we all stop to remember and pray for those still fighting for our freedom. I hope that we never forget and pass on our patriotism to our children.

3 comments:

Susie said...

That is totally awesome that Texas does all those wonderful things. You blessed to live in such a wonderful place. That was a very touching sweet blog. We are so lucky and blessed to live in America and have the freedoms that we have.

Janika said...

I see you are not a fanatical blogger, and that's okay, you can still come swimming with me and Andrew anytime. I was glad I got to talk to you a bit after the meeting tonight, and I hope you don't mind me commenting, because I always do when I visit someone's blog

Pacefamily said...

I get so jealous reading all of that!! You are very blessed to have your children in such a great place and be able to raise them with the knowledge that all of your teaching won't be undone as soon as they leave the house. we miss you guys!!