Friday, August 15, 2008

Bad Mom Moment

So I know that I am not the perfect mom. Not even close. But today, a teenager put me in my place.

The location: Famous Footwear.
It was the annual trip for the first day of school new shoes. Both boys were still lacking. Before leaving, I had insisted they wear socks and dig out the tennis shoes that have been absent for months due to the Texas heat. Pookie, being the third child, or just lazy; sat, staring at his socks and shoes until his sweet momma gave in and assisted. I did notice the extra effort it took to get the shoes on, 'just bulky socks or curled up toes' I justified. No complaints from the little man, we were on our way.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a young cheery sales clerk, who quickly had Bubba measured (size 5) and on his way searching for that perfect shoe.

Pookie was a different story. She placed his little foot on the measuring tool and asked him, "What size are you?" He knew the answer since we had just finished discussing this exact thing on the car ride over and proudly answered "size 11!". She is starting to look somewhat concerned at this point. Picking up his old displaced shoe and peering inside she turns her attention to me. "Is there a problem?" I ask. "Only that your son should be wearing a size 1 and you have him in 11's." That's 3 full sizes too small. Oops.

Some people wonder why we stopped at three children...

Fortunately, Pookie left the shoe store with the biggest grin and a completely satisfied look, cramped toes and ankle blisters forgotten. His mom had just let him purchase his dream shoes- Sketcher Airators. I left the store feeling somewhat smug knowing that during the summer months toes can at least hang over flip flops acceptably! Right?

2 comments:

Susie said...

That is a funny story. Poor Asher with cramped toes.

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

I've totally been there!! Ben grew from a 6 at the beginning of the summer to a 8 1/2!!
And I thought Syd was a 11 and Emma a 9. Ok so after a trip to the shoe store they were 13's and 11. OOPPPSS!!!